Room 104 Families,
- Our field trip to the Lincoln Park Zoo is on Thursday, May 14th. Please send in permission slips ASAP.
- We can have a lot of chaperones, so please let me know if you would like to attend. More chaperones mean smaller groups, which is very good for the zoo.
- Students MUST bring a COMPLETELY DISPOSABLE lunch that day to eat at the zoo.
- Students are NOT to bring money.
- Please make sure that your child dresses for the weather and a lot of walking.
- I have one project up on DonorsChoose. Tell your friends and families and share the link on your Facebook and social media pages! Check it out –
- The easel project got funded! Thanks so much for your help and donations.
Fish and Snails
- Our fish and snails are going to need new homes as our school year starts to wind down. If you would like one or more of the fish or snails, please let me know. There are five fish and three snails.
Sight Words: eat, funny, help
We will use and write them in sentences. We will also sing our sight word songs.
Previous Sight Words: I, am, like, we, see, the, can, and, be, big, little, on, it, to, a, is, look, at, my,
here, yes, no, day, come, run, have, go, me, you, said, in, are, zero, do, that, one, up, down, two, he,
she, three, four, with, play, five, love, by, six, because, will, seven, away, want, fun, eight, all, did, blue,
black, brown, red, yellow, orange, purple, pink, green, white, gray, nine, ten, for, us, of, was, as, from,
his, her, out, this, what, get, went, they, not, where, got, make, find, but
Letter of the Week: Review
- Greeting – Greet five people
- Activity – Penny Poem
- Sharing – Zoo animal fact
- Word Work – Rainbow Words, Read Around the Room Rhyming, Word Detective, Sight Word Search
- Writing – Animal Mix-Up, My favorite zoo animal is…
- Read to Self and Read to Someone – focus on identifying sight words
- Read with our Third Grade Buddies
- Computer – Starfall
- Listening- Students will listen to If You Give a Dog a Donut then draw one cause and effect from the story
- Teacher Time – Sight Word Practice, Weekly Story, POP for Phonics
- Our focus comprehension skill this week is cause and effect
- Sight Word Songs
- Read alouds
- Phonemic Awareness
- I am going to slowly start the end of the year dibels assessments
- Our writing will directly deal with our theme this week
Theme (Science/Social Studies): Zoo Animals (specifically elephants, monkeys and giraffes)
- Watch videos, look at pictures, and read books to learn all about the animals then complete different “All About” activities
- Things to Remember
- 5/12 (Tuesday): Zoo research projects due
- 5/14 (Thursday): FIELD TRIP to the zoo
- 5/15 (Friday): Dress like a zoo keeper
- Wish List: Large container of animal crackers (for a graphing activity), face paint crayons, zoo pal paper plates
- Math Survey
- Math Journals
- ST Math
- Math Centers
- We will focus on time to the hour and half hour all week
Things to Know:
- Please check regularly and use the Things To Be Working On At Home link on the blog.
- Library books are due every Friday.
- Kindergarten classrooms are a great place to donate things you do not need anymore. We can find a use for almost anything!
- Scholastic Book orders are due Wednesday, May 20th. You may order by going online (https://clubs2.scholastic.com), directions have been given, or handing the order and check to me. Please consider ordering books from Scholastic. Not only are the books priced cheap but all books bought earn the classrooms bonus points. With those points I am able to get resources and books for the classroom!
- Continue to work on ST Math (JiJi) and ABCMouse at home.
- Each student has their own Bob Book (http://bobbooks.com/) in their read to self bags. Students are able to practice their books during centers (usually with the third grade buddies) and read them correctly to me to pass on to the next book. These are great books! Please refer to the link with any questions.
- Consider collecting Box Tops. They are on many of the everyday items that you buy. You may turn them in to me. Each Box Top earns money for the school. http://www.boxtopsforeducation.info