Room 104 Families,
Sight Words: Color Words – blue, black, brown, red, yellow, orange, purple, pink, green, white, gray
We will use and write them in sentences. We will also sing our sight word songs.
Previous Sight Words: I, am, like, we, see, the, can, and, be, big, little, on, it, to, a, is, look, at, my, here, yes, no, day, come, run, have, go, me, you, said, in, are, zero, do, that, one, up, down, two, he, she, three, four, with, play, five, love, by, six, because, will, seven, away, want, fun, eight, all, did
Letter of the Week: Review
Please have your child cut out images from the newspaper or magazines that begin with our letter of the week so we can make a letter collage book. Students may bring in the images any day throughout the week.
Previous Letters: Mm, Aa, Ff, Cc, Pp, Bb, Hh, Ll, Tt, Gg, Ii, Ss, Zz, Dd, Ww, Rr, Jj, Oo, Qq, Uu
- Greeting – Snail Greeting
- Activity – Fish Poem
- Sharing – Students will get to share about anything, for example; what they had for breakfast, what they did after school
- Word Work – Glue It/Write It/Color It, Roll a Color Word, Lucky Word Families, Rhyming Houses
- Writing – Sticker Stories, If I Were a Leprechaun…
- Read to Self and Read to Someone – focus on identifying sight words
- Read with our Third Grade Buddies
- Computer – GameGoo
- Listening- Students will listen to Clark the Shark then draw a picture of their favorite part
- Teacher Time – Practice Sight Words, weekly story, Compound Words
- Our focus comprehension skill this week will be compare and contrast
- Complete a venn diagram about two versions of The Three Little Pigs
- Sight Word Songs
- Read different versions of The Three Little Pigs
- Phonemic Awareness
- Sing Who Let the Letters Out? We sing the song out of order and while doing that I try to spell as many sight words as possible that the students identify after the song. There is a link to it on the Things to be Working on at Home page on the blog.
- Independent Journals
- Read There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Clover and write “I am lucky because…”
Theme (Science/Social Studies): Snails
- Read about snails and create an anchor chart
- All About Snails
- Parts of a Snail
- Snail Observation
- Students will get many opportunities to observe our snails
- Math Survey
- Math Journals
- ST Math
- 3-D Shapes
- Counts to Measure Time
- I Spy with Shapes
- Coin Exchange
- Math Centers
- Just a note about math centers. They usually consist of four different centers the students rotate to. One center is working with me on our current skill or reinforcement of a past skill, another is working on our current skill or reinforcement of a past one, and the other two are bins from our math center. These two are more play based where the students get to create using the objects.
Things to Know:
- Please check regularly and use the Things To Be Working On At Home link on the blog.
- We are out of snack once again. If you have recently gotten a snack letter but did not donate, please do so.
- The StoryBus will be here Friday, March 20th. The theme this year is Three Little Pigs. The bus is decorated like The Three Little Pigs and has many themed activities for the kids. We will get to spend about 30 minutes on the bus which will be parked at school. That whole week we will read different versions of The Three Little Pigs.
- Library books are due every Friday.
- Scholastic Book orders are due Wednesday, March 18th. You may order by going online (https://clubs2.scholastic.com), directions have been given, or handing the order and check to me. Please consider ordering books from Scholastic. Not only are the books priced cheap but all books bought earn the classrooms bonus points. With those points I am able to get resources and books for the classroom!
- Continue to work on ST Math (JiJi) and ABCMouse at home.
- Each student has their own Bob Book (http://bobbooks.com/) in their read to self bags. Students are able to practice their books during centers (usually with the third grade buddies) and read them correctly to me to pass on to the next book. These are great books! Please refer to the link with any questions.
- I have a new DonorsChoose project up. Tell your friends and families! Check it out – http://www.donorschoose.org/project/help-us-learn-with-the-best-resources/1466438/?rf=link-siteshare-2015-01-teacher_account-teacher_2480453&challengeid=20460118
- Consider collecting Box Tops. They are on many of the everyday items that you buy. Turn them into me or by the security desk on the first floor. Each Box Top earns money for the school. http://www.boxtopsforeducation.info