Join the kindergarten teachers for coffee on Wednesday, February 11th from 9 – 10 am. This is a chance for you to learn more about what is coming up second semester. Hope to see you there!
Archive for February 6th 2015
Room 104 Families,
Sight Words: five, love, by
We will use and write them in sentences. We will also sing our sight word songs.
Previous Sight Words: I, am, like, we, see, the, can, and, be, big, little, on, it, to, a, is, look, at, my, here, yes, no, day, come, run, have, go, me, you, said, in, are, zero, do, that, one, up, down, two, he, she, three, four, with, play
Letter of the Week: Oo
Please have your child cut out images from the newspaper or magazines that begin with our letter of the week so we can make a letter collage book. Students may bring in the images any day throughout the week.
Previous Letters: Mm, Aa, Ff, Cc, Pp, Bb, Hh, Ll, Tt, Gg, Ii, Ss, Zz, Dd, Ww, Rr, Jj
- Greeting – Dice Greeting
- Activity – I’m a Little Valentine poem
- Sharing – Students will share their snowmen. Please turn them in as soon as possible if not done not yet.
- Word Work – Rainbow Words, Heart Sight Word Read Around the Room, Blend sorting, Building Words
- Writing – Winter Stories, I love __________ because…
- Read to Self and Read to Someone – focus on identifying sight words
- Computer – GameGoo
- Listening- Students will listen to The Biggest Snowman Ever then draw a picture of their favorite part
- Teacher Time – Practice Sight Words and Letter, Weekly Story, Magic e
- Read with our Third Grade Buddies
- Our focus comprehension skill is main idea and details
- Sight Word Bingo
- Sight word songs
- Phonemic Awareness
- Sing Who Let the Letters Out? We sing the song out of order and while doing that I try to spell as many sight words as possible that the students identify after the song. There is a link to it on the Things to be Working on at Home page on the blog.
- Independent Journals
Theme (Science/Social Studies): Presidents with a focus on George Washington and Abraham Lincoln
- Read all about George Washington, create an anchor chart, then students will fill in a web with facts they have learned about him
- Read all about Abraham Lincoln, create an anchor chart, then students will fill in a web with facts they have learned about him
- President Sort
- Read Abe Lincoln’s Hat then students will draw and write about what they would keep in their tall hat
- Math Survey
- Math Journals
- ST Math
- Math Centers – calculators, addition
- Skip Counting
- Tally Marks
- We will celebrate Valentine’s Day on Friday, February 13th at the end of the school day. If you would like to help out with our special math centers that day, let me know. Students may bring valentines for ALL of their classmates. Students should sign whom the card is from but not who it is to. We will make valentine bags in school on Thursday.
- We will have Valentine’s Day themed math centers on both Thursday and Friday and a fun writing activity on Friday.
Things to Know:
- Please check regularly and use the Things To Be Working On At Home link on the blog.
- Please join us for the Ray School Black History Celebration on Wednesday, February 11th from 6 pm – 8 pm. There will be lots of great activities, things to see, and food!
- Kindergarten Coffee! Please join us for coffee on Wednesday, February 11th from 9 – 10 am. The Kindergarten team will give you an overview of what will be going on second semester.
- Look for upcoming communication about the100th Day which is Wednesday, February 18th!
- Library books are due every Friday.
- Scholastic Book orders are due Wednesday, February 11th. You may order by going online (https://clubs2.scholastic.com), directions have been given, or handing the order and check to me. Please consider ordering books from Scholastic. Not only are the books priced cheap but all books bought earn the classrooms bonus points. With those points I am able to get resources and books for the classroom!
- With the cold weather upon us it is very important that your child can independently dress themselves in their winter gear. Please also label all winter gear in case it gets lost.
- Continue to work on ST Math (JiJi) and ABCMouse at home.
- Each student has their own Bob Book (http://bobbooks.com/) in their read to self bags. Students are able to practice their books during centers (usually with the third grade buddies) and read them correctly to me to pass on to the next book. These are great books! Please refer to the link with any questions.
- I have a new DonorsChoose project up. Tell your friends and families! Check it out – http://www.donorschoose.org/project/help-us-learn-with-the-best-resources/1466438/?rf=link-siteshare-2015-01-teacher_account-teacher_2480453&challengeid=20460118
- Consider collecting Box Tops. They are on many of the everyday items that you buy. Turn them into me or by the security desk on the first floor. Each Box Top earns money for the school. http://www.boxtopsforeducation.info
We will be celebrating Valentine’s Day on Friday the 13th. The children are encouraged to bring a valentine for each of their classmates (27). We are asking that the students only write who the valentine is from. Please do not write who the valentine is to. We understand the many valentines come with candy, however we strongly encourage the ones that come with stickers or tattoos over candy. Please email your teacher if you would like to volunteer to help with our Valentine’s Day math centers starting at 2:30. We look forward to celebrating Valentine’s Day next Friday.