Room 104 Families,
Sight Words: seven, away, want, fun
We will use and write them in sentences. We will also sing our sight word songs.
Previous Sight Words: I, am, like, we, see, the, can, and, be, big, little, on, it, to, a, is, look, at, my, here, yes, no, day, come, run, have, go, me, you, said, in, are, zero, do, that, one, up, down, two, he, she, three, four, with, play, five, love, by, six, because, will
Letter of the Week: Uu
Please have your child cut out images from the newspaper or magazines that begin with our letter of the week so we can make a letter collage book. Students may bring in the images any day throughout the week.
Previous Letters: Mm, Aa, Ff, Cc, Pp, Bb, Hh, Ll, Tt, Gg, Ii, Ss, Zz, Dd, Ww, Rr, Jj, Oo, Qq
- Greeting – Compliment Greeting
- Activity – I will READ Dr. Seuss Poem
- Sharing – Students will share what they are wearing that day for Dr. Seuss Week (see below)
- Word Work – Rainbow Words, word families, Cat in the Hat Rhyming Sort, It’s Rhyme Time!
- Writing – A Letter to The Cat in the Hat, Funny Character
- Read to Self and Read to Someone – focus on identifying sight words
- Computer – PBSKids
- Listening- Students will listen to Miss Nelson is Missing then draw a picture of a character
- Teacher Time – Practice Sight Words and Letter, weekly story, y as a vowel
- Read with our Third Grade Buddies
- Our focus comprehension skill this week will be story elements
- Short Vowel Sort
- Sight word songs
- Read Dr. Seuss Books
- Phonemic Awareness
- Sing Who Let the Letters Out? We sing the song out of order and while doing that I try to spell as many sight words as possible that the students identify after the song. There is a link to it on the Things to be Working on at Home page on the blog.
- All of our writing will have to do directly with our theme
Theme (Science/Social Studies): Dr. Seuss Books
- Monday – Crazy Hat Day – wear a crazy hat
- Read The Cat in the Hat and make an /-at/ hat
- Tuesday – Favorite Color Day – dress in your favorite color
- Read One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish and write all about your favorite color
- Wednesday – Wacky Wednesday – Dress wacky
- Read Wacky Wednesday then write, “It would be wacky if…”
- Thursday – Crazy Sock Day – wear crazy socks
- Read Fox in Socks and The Foot Book, students will make their own foot book
- Friday – Grown Up Day – Dress in what you want to be when you grow up
- Read Oh, The Places You’ll Go then on a (paper) balloon draw and write about what you want to be when you grow up
- Wish List – Vanilla pudding, Sprinkles, Nilla wafers
- Math Survey
- Math Journals
- ST Math
- Math Centers
- Hat Measuring
- Fish Bowl Adding
- Colors Graph
- Sock Measuring
- Goldfish Graphing
- Wish List – One large box of rainbow goldfish
- Please let me know if you can come in and help make oobleck on Friday, March 6th from around 9:30 to 11 or whatever time in there that works for you
Things to Know:
- Please check regularly and use the Things To Be Working On At Home link on the blog.
- Wish List: 1 Large box of rainbow goldfish, Vanilla pudding, Sprinkles. Nilla wafers
- Library books are due every Friday.
- Scholastic Book orders are due Wednesday, March 18th. You may order by going online (https://clubs2.scholastic.com), directions have been given, or handing the order and check to me. Please consider ordering books from Scholastic. Not only are the books priced cheap but all books bought earn the classrooms bonus points. With those points I am able to get resources and books for the classroom!
- With the cold weather upon us it is very important that your child can independently dress themselves in their winter gear. Please also label all winter gear in case it gets lost.
- Continue to work on ST Math (JiJi) and ABCMouse at home.
- Each student has their own Bob Book (http://bobbooks.com/) in their read to self bags. Students are able to practice their books during centers (usually with the third grade buddies) and read them correctly to me to pass on to the next book. These are great books! Please refer to the link with any questions.
- I have a new DonorsChoose project up. Tell your friends and families! Check it out – http://www.donorschoose.org/project/help-us-learn-with-the-best-resources/1466438/?rf=link-siteshare-2015-01-teacher_account-teacher_2480453&challengeid=20460118
- Consider collecting Box Tops. They are on many of the everyday items that you buy. Turn them into me or by the security desk on the first floor. Each Box Top earns money for the school. http://www.boxtopsforeducation.info