Room 104 Families,
Sight Words: he, she, three
We will use and write them in sentences. We will also sing our sight word songs.
Previous Sight Words: I, am, like, we, see, the, can, and, be, big, little, on, it, to, a, is, look, at, my, here, yes, no, day, come, run, have, go, me, you, said, in, are, zero, do, that, one, up, down, two
Letter of the Week: Rr
Please have your child cut out images from the newspaper or magazines that begin with our letter of the week so we can make a letter collage book. Students may bring in the images any day throughout the week.
Previous Letters: Mm, Aa, Ff, Cc, Pp, Bb, Hh, Ll, Tt, Gg, Ii, Ss, Zz, Dd, Ww
- Greeting – Students will greet five other students by shaking their hand and saying good morning
- Activity – My Perfect Snowman Poem
- Sharing – Students will share their favorite special (spanish, music, PE, art, library) and why
- Word Work – Rainbow Words, Read Around the Room, Identifying Blends
- Writing – My Favorite Part of Winter…/Describe Winter
- Read to Self and Read to Someone – focus on identifying sight words
- Computer – Starfall
- Listening- Students will listen to Caps, Hats, Socks, and Mittens then draw what they would wear for each season
- Teacher Time – Practice Sight Words and Letter, Weekly Story
- Read with our Third Grade Buddies
- Our focus comprehension skill is main idea and details
- Sight Word Bingo
- Read winter/snow books
- Sight word songs.
- Phonemic Awareness.
- Sing Who Let the Letters Out? We sing the song out of order. There is a link to it on the Things to be Working on at Home page on the blog.
- All our writing this week is directly related to our theme activities
Theme (Science/Social Studies): Snow
- Write and draw the steps (first, then, next, last) to building a snowman
- Winter Writing
- Read All You Need for a Snowman then write/draw what happened first, then, next, and last
- Snowman Glyph
- Create a book on how to go sledding
- Read winter/snow books
- Math Survey
- Math Journals
- Math Centers
- Order of Daily Events
- Which is More?
- Find the Attribute Block
- Guess My Number
- Roll a Snowflake
- We will be doing an adding activity with marshmallows and I will be making hot chocolate for the students to drink. Please let me know if you do not want your child to have hot chocolate.
- Our field trip to see The Selfish Giant is Tuesday, January 27th. We should be arriving back to school around noon. Students are to bring a lunch that day but it does not need to be disposable. Thanks in advance to our chaperones.
Things to Know:
- Please check regularly and use the Things To Be Working On At Home link on the blog.
- The Middle of the Year Dibels assessment is complete! Results will be sent home the first week of February with the second quarter report cards.
- Library books are due every Friday.
- Is your child interested in playing chess? The contact email is firstname.lastname@example.org. Only six students are needed to make a class! If interested contact Sharon Burgin at the email above.
- Scholastic Book orders have been placed and should be arriving shortly. The next order is due Wednesday, February 11th. Flyers will be sent home soon.
- January 30th and June 17th are now student attendance days to make up for the cold days.
- With the cold weather upon us it is very important that your child can independently dress themselves in their winter gear. Please also label all winter gear in case it gets lost.
- Continue to work on ST Math (JiJi) and ABCMouse at home.
- Each student has their own Bob Book (http://bobbooks.com/) in their read to self bags. Students are able to practice their books during centers (usually with the third grade buddies) and read them correctly to me to pass on to the next book. These are great books! Please refer to the link with any questions.
- I have a new DonorsChoose project up. Check it out – http://www.donorschoose.org/project/help-us-learn-with-the-best-resources/1466438/?rf=link-siteshare-2015-01-teacher_account-teacher_2480453&challengeid=20460118
- Consider collecting Box Tops. They are on many of the everyday items that you buy. Turn them into me or by the security desk on the first floor. Each Box Top earns money for the school. http://www.boxtopsforeducation.info