Room 104 Families,
Sight Words: one, zero, do, that (Review)
We will use and write them in sentences. We will also sing our sight word songs.
Previous Sight Words: I, am, like, we, see, the, can, and, be, big, little, on, it, to, a, is, look, at, my, here, yes, no, day, come, run, have, go, me, you, said, in, are, zero, do, that
Letter of the Week: Dd
Please have your child cut out images from the newspaper or magazines that begin with our letter of the week so we can make a letter collage book. Students may bring in the images any day throughout the week.
Previous Letters: Mm, Aa, Ff, Cc, Pp, Bb, Hh, Ll, Tt, Gg, Ii, Ss, Zz
- Greeting – Students will greet five other students by saying Jambo.
- Activity – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Poem
- Sharing – Favorite winter activity and why
- Please refer to the sharing schedule to know what day your child shares and prepare them for this activity
- Word Work – Rainbow Words, Read Around the Room, Find Sight Words, Create CVC words (consonant, (short) vowel, consonant)
- Writing – Students will pick a topic card then write and draw
- Read to Self and Read to Someone – focus on identifying sight words
- Computer – Starfall
- Listening- Students will listen to A Feast for 10 then draw a picture of a character from the story
- Teacher Time – dibels assessment
- Read with our Third Grade Buddies
- Create CVC words (consonant, (short) vowel, consonant)
- Our focus comprehension skill is beginning, middle, and end
- Sight word songs.
- Phonemic Awareness.
- Sing Who Let the Letters Out? We sing the song out of order. There is a link to it on the Things to be Working on at Home page on the blog.
- Independent Journals
- My Dream…
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Character Web
- I Want…
Theme (Science/Social Studies): Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Character Education
- We will read various book about Dr. King, create an anchor chart about him, and have discussions on various topics about him including how his work has impacted our lives today.
- We will continue our talk of peacemakers and peacebreakers
- Math Survey
- Math Journals
- Math Centers
- Number Order
- Missing Number
- Place Value
- We will be taking a break from ST Math while the older students use the computer lab to test. Please continue to use the program at home.
Things to Know:
- Please check regularly and use the Things To Be Working On At Home link on the blog.
- Library books are due every Friday.
- We will have a field trip on Tuesday, January 27th. This will be a half day field trip to see the play The Selfish Giant. Money is due ASAP. School will continue as normal when we get back.
- There will be no school on Monday, January 19th in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
- Scholastic Book orders are due Wednesday, January 21st. You may order by going online (https://clubs2.scholastic.com), directions have been given, or handing the order and check to me. Please consider ordering books from Scholastic. Not only are the books priced cheap but all books bought earn the classrooms bonus points. With those points I am able to get resources and books for the classroom!
- I will be administering the middle of the year dibels assessment this week. Each student needs to be assessed individually. Results will be sent home the beginning of February.
- I will let you know of any changes to our calendar due to the cold days once I know.
- With the cold weather upon us it is very important that your child can independently dress themselves in their winter gear. Please also label all winter gear in case it gets lost.
- Continue to work on ST Math (JiJi) and ABCMouse at home.
- Each student has their own Bob Book (http://bobbooks.com/) in their read to self bags. Students are able to practice their books during centers (usually with the third grade buddies) and read them correctly to me to pass on to the next book. These are great books! Please refer to the link with any questions.
- Consider collecting Box Tops. They are on many of the everyday items that you buy. Turn them into me or by the security desk on the first floor. Each Box Top earns money for the school. http://www.boxtopsforeducation.info