Room 104 Families,
Sight Words: day, yes, no
We will use and write them in sentences. We will also sing our sight word songs.
Previous Sight Words: I, am, like, we, see, the, can, and, be, big, little, on, it, to, a, is, look, at, my, here
Letter of the Week: Tt
Please have your child cut out images from the newspaper or magazines that begin with our letter of the week so we can make a letter collage book. Students may bring in the images any day throughout the week.
Previous Letters: Mm, Aa, Ff, Cc, Pp, Bb, Hh, Ll
- Greeting – Each student will greet five others by shaking their hand and saying Bonjour
- Activity – Turkey, Turkey Poem
- Sharing – Students will share their disguised turkeys. Please make sure these are turned in right away. I have not gotten one from all the students. If the turkey is not turned in, students will have nothing to share
- Word Work – Rainbow Words, Read Around the Room, Beginning Sound, Sight Word Search
- Writing – Sticker Stories
- Read to Self and Read to Someone – focus on identifying sight words
- Computer – Starfall, iPad games
- Listening- Students will listen to More Spaghetti, I Say! then draw their favorite part
- Teacher Time – Sight word practice, letter practice, weekly story, -at word family
- Read with our Third Grade Buddies
- Our big book skill this week is compare and contrast. We will focus on character stories and compare and contrast the main characters a few ways.
- Complete the predictable sentence, “Is that a turkey? _______” Each week with our predictable sentences we make a class book that stays in our Book Center. Students may put the books in their Read to Self bags to read and/or read them when doing Read to Someone.
- All of our third grade reading buddies will come down to our classroom and participate in a color foam experiment.
- Sight word songs.
- Beginning sound sort.
- Phonemic Awareness
- Sing Who Let the Letters Out? We will now be singing the song out of order. There is a link to it on the Things to be Working on at Home page on the blog.
- While working in our independent journals this week we will focus on chopping out words – writing all the sounds you hear in a word.
Theme (Science/Social Studies): Pilgrims and Native Americans
- Learn Pilgrim Words
- Compare and Contrast Long Ago and Today
- Map of a Pilgrim Village
- Wampanoag Words – students will also make a teepee and write a story on it using Native American symbols
- Students will make a pilgrim head and write a fact on it
- Students will make the Mayflower with their hand and paint and write what they would have brought with them on the Mayflower
- Math Survey
- Math Journals
- ST Math
- Counting by 10’s and ordering by 10’s
- Teen Frames
- Teen Fram Game
Things to Know:
- Please check regularly and use the Things To Be Working On At Home link on the blog.
- Scholastic Books orders have been placed and should be arriving shortly. The next order is due Friday, December 5th. You may order by going online (https://clubs2.scholastic.com), directions have been given, or handing the order and check to me. Please consider ordering books from Scholastic. Not only are they cheap but all books bought earn the classrooms bonus points. With those points I am able to get resources and books for the classroom!
- Library books are due every Friday.
- Our next field trip is Monday, December 8th. Please turn in the permission slip and fee as soon as possible.
- Ray School is participating in a holiday food drive with the Chicago Bulls. Please consider donating non perishable and canned food items. I have a box in the classroom for the items. Thanks in advance.
- Both our librarian (Ms. Collins – firstname.lastname@example.org) and our art teacher (Ms. Dana – email@example.com) are looking for parents to volunteer in their classrooms. Please contact them if you would like to volunteer.
- I have a project up on a website called Donors Choose. Please consider looking at the website and donating any amount to help fund my project (http://www.donorschoose.org/project/help-us-soar-through-technology/1316674/?rf=page-siteshare-2014-09-project-teacher_2480453). I am asking for technology that will directly benefit all the students currently in Room 104 and in the future. Also encourage your family and friends to donate.
- Continue to work on ST Math (JiJi) and ABCMouse at home.
- Consider collecting Box Tops. They are on many of the everyday items that you buy. Turn them into me or by the security desk on the first floor. Each Box Top earns money for the school. http://www.boxtopsforeducation.info