Room 104 Families,
Sight Words: a, is, look
We will use and write them in sentences. We will also sing our sight word songs.
Previous Sight Words: I, am, like, we, see, the, can, and, be, big, little, on, it, to
Letter of the Week: Hh
Please have your child cut out images from the newspaper or magazines that begin with our letter of the week so we can make a letter collage book. Students may bring in the images any day throughout the week.
Previous Letters: Mm, Aa, Ff, Cc, Pp, Bb
- Greeting – Compliment Greeting
- Activity – Jack-o-Lantern Poem
- Sharing – Students will share something that scares them (spiders, scary movies, heights) and why
- Please discuss this with your child and prepare them for what they will share
- Word Work – Rainbow Words, Read Around the Room, Letter Hh activity, Sight Word Building
- Writing – Students will pick a topic card then write and draw
- Read to Self and Read to Someone – focus on identifying sight words
- Computer ABCYa, iPad games
- Listening- Students will listen to The Stray Dog then draw their favorite part
- Teacher Time – First Quarter Assessment
- Read with our Third Grade Buddies
- Complete the predictable sentence, “Look, it is a __________.” Each week with our predictable sentences we make a class book that stays in our Book Center. Students may put the books in their Read to Self bags to read and/or read them when doing Read to Someone.
- Phonemic Awareness
- Our comprehension skill this week is main idea and details. We will read a few different books and identify the main idea and a detail.
- /-at/ word family spider.
- List words that begin with the letter Hh.
- Sight Word Songs.
- Sing Who Let the Letters Out? There is a link to it on the Things to be Working on at Home page on the blog.
Theme (Science/Social Studies): Fabric
- Feely Box
- Fabric Hunt
- Fabric Collage
- While working in our independent journals this week, we will focus on making finger spaces between our words, using end marks, beginning our sentence with a capital letter, and when to use a capital letter.
- Math Survey
- Math Journals
- ST Math
- Monster Squeeze Game
- Bigger Number
- Measure with Objects
- Dice Adding
- Pocket Problems
- Our field trip to the Children’s Farm is Friday, October 31st. This is an all day field trip but the students are still to bring their backpacks and folders to school. Please dress your child for the weather. Students are not to wear costumes to the field trip and are encouraged to wear a Ray School shirt or our colors of green and white. Students also need to bring a completely disposable lunch that day. Thanks in advance to our chaperones.
- In preparation of our field trip we will read Miss Bindergarten Takes a Field Trip with Kindergarten
Things to Know:
- Please check regularly and use the Things To Be Working On At Home link on the blog.
- Scholastic Book orders have been places and should be arriving shortly. The next order is due Friday, November 14th. You may order by going online (https://clubs2.scholastic.com), directions have been given, or handing the order and check to me. Please consider ordering books from Scholastic. Not only are they cheap but all books bought earn the classrooms bonus points. With those points I am able to get resources and books for the classroom!
- Library books are due every Friday.
- Students recently made position word books. The students loved this activity and were very engaged. Many even thanked me for having them do this activity! Please have your child practice reading his/her book at home.
- I have a project up on a website called Donors Choose. Please consider looking at the website and donating any amount to help fund my project (http://www.donorschoose.org/project/help-us-soar-through-technology/1316674/?rf=page-siteshare-2014-09-project-teacher_2480453). I am asking for technology that will directly benefit all the students currently in Room 104 and in the future. Also encourage your family and friends to donate.
- We are continuing to work on our ST Math (JiJi) program. It is a computer based math program based on logic and problem solving. We will be in the computer lab on Thursdays working on this. Students work at their own rate. Students who know their password have received the paper that tells you how to access the program at home. All other students will get the paper next week.
- Consider collecting Box Tops. They are on many of the everyday items that you buy. Turn them into me or by the security desk on the first floor. Each Box Top earns money for the school. http://www.boxtopsforeducation.info