Room 104 Families,
Sight Words: on, it, to
We will use and write them in sentences. We will also sing our sight word songs.
Previous Sight Words: I, am, like, we, see, the, can, and, be, big, little
Letter of the Week: Bb
Please have your child cut out images from the newspaper or magazines that
begin with our letter of the week so we can make a letter collage book. Students may
bring in the images any day throughout the week.
Previous Letters: Mm, Aa, Ff, Cc, Pp
- Greeting – Pantomime Greeting
- Activity – Jack-o-Lantern Poem
- Sharing – Students will share their favorite outdoor activity and why
- Please discuss this with your child and prepare them for what they will share
- Word Work – Rainbow Words, Read Around the Room, Letter Bb activity, Uppercase/lowercase matching
- Writing – Students will pick a topic card then write and draw
- Read to Self and Read to Someone – focus on identifying sight words
- Computer -Starfall, iPad games
- Listening- Students will listen to The Stray Dog then will draw a picture of one of the characters
- Teacher Time – practice sight words and letters, order the alphabet, weekly leveled stories, identify a main character from the story and something about them
- Read with our Third Grade Buddies
- Complete the predictable sentence, “We see ___ spiders on the web.” Each week with our predictable sentences we make a class book that stays in our Book Center. Students may put the books in their Read to Self bags to read and/or read them when doing Read to Someone.
- Phonemic Awareness
- Our comprehension skill this week is main character. We will read a different book each day and identify the main character and something about them.
- List words that begin with the letter Bb.
- Sight Word Songs.
- Position words book.
- Sing Who Let the Letters Out? There is a link to it on the Things to be Working on at Home page on the blog.
Theme (Science/Social Studies): Bats and Spiders
- Read informational books on bats and spiders and create anchor charts about them
- Parts of a bat and a spider
- Sequence the story, There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat
- Spider Patterns
- Bats and Spiders Venn Diagram
- Students will work in their independent journals this week. Our focus skill will be to continue to label our WOW pictures. We are also focusing on using at least two sight words in our sentences.
- Math Survey
- Math Journals
- ST Math
- Fall Graphing
- Bat Measurement
- Roll and Record
- The Pan Balance
- Domino Concentration Game
Things to Know:
- Please check regularly and use the Things To Be Working On At Home link on the blog.
- Scholastic Book orders are due Wednesday, October 22nd. You may order by going online (https://clubs2.scholastic.com), directions have been given, or handing the order and check to me. Please consider ordering books from Scholastic. Not only are they cheap but all books bought earn the classrooms bonus points. With those points I am able to get resources and books for the classroom!
- Library books are due every Friday.
- Our field trip to the Children’s Farm is Friday, October 31st. Chaperones – thank you for confirming. Your information is forthcoming. Your child should wear the Ray School colors of green and white that day or a Ray School t-shirt. Students also need to have a disposable lunch that day.
- I have a project up on a website called Donors Choose. Please consider looking at the website and donating any amount to help fund my project (http://www.donorschoose.org/project/help-us-soar-through-technology/1316674/?rf=page-siteshare-2014-09-project-teacher_2480453). I am asking for technology that will directly benefit all the students currently in Room 104 and in the future. Also encourage your family and friends to donate.
- Thanks to all the family members that have been coming in and volunteering already. It is a great help to all the students and myself.
- We have started our ST Math program. You will hear students referring to it as JiJi (GG). It is a computer based math program based on logic and problem solving. We will be in the computer lab on Thursdays working on this. Students work at their own rate. Within the next week or two you will be getting the directions on how to access ST Math at home.
- Consider collecting Box Tops. They are on many of the everyday items that you buy. Turn them into me or by the security desk on the first floor. Each Box Top earns money for the school. http://www.boxtopsforeducation.info