Room 104 Families,
Sight Words: big, little
We will use and write them in sentences. We will also sing our sight word songs.
Previous Sight Words: I, am, like, we, see, the, can, and, be
Letter of the Week: Pp
Please have your child cut out images from the newspaper or magazines that
begin with our letter of the week so we can make a letter collage book. Students may
bring in the images any day throughout the week.
Previous Letters: Mm, Aa, Ff, Cc
- Greeting – Dice Greeting
- Activity – Fall Poem
- Sharing – Students will share their favorite school special (spanish, music, PE, art, library) and why
- Please discuss this with your child and prepare them for what they will share
- Word Work – Rainbow Words, Read Around the Room, Letter Pp activity, Uppercase/lowercase matching
- Writing – Students will pick a topic card then write and draw
- Read to Self and Read to Someone – focus on identifying sight words
- Computer -Starfall, iPad games
- Listening- Students will listen to Skippyjon Jones Class Action
- Teacher Time – practice sight words and letters, order the alphabet, we will begin our weekly leveled stories, identify something that happened at the beginning of the story
- Our third grade buddies come in everyday for about 15 minutes of centers (only four or five third graders each day) to read with the students in the classroom and help them out. Both groups are really enjoying this.
- Complete the predictable sentence, “My pumpkin will be ___________(big/little).” Each week with our predictable sentences we make a class book that stays in our Book Center. Students may put the books in their Read to Self bags to read and/or read them when doing Read to Someone.
- Phonemic Awareness
- Our big book this week is Kite Flying. Each day we will do a different activity with it. Our comprehension skill this week is story sequencing – beginning, middle, end.
- Big Book Activities – Picture Walk/Predictions, read, identify three things that happened in the books, order the three things into beginning, middle, and end.
- List words that begin with the letter Pp.
- Sight Word Songs.
- Sing Who Let the Letters Out? There is a link to it on the Things to be Working on at Home page on the blog.
Theme (Science/Social Studies): Pumpkins
- Pumpkin Measuring
- Sight Word Pumpkin Patch
- Pumpkin Glyph
- We will read many fiction and nonfiction books about pumpkins and create a chart all about pumpkins
- Students will work in their independent journals this week. Our focus skill will be labeling our WOW pictures. We will complete a few labeling activities before students begin their own writing. We are also focusing on using at least two sight words in our sentences.
- Math Survey
- Math Journals
- ST Math
- Symmetry Painting
- Symmetry in Nature
- Number Books
- Pumpkin Math
- We will do many activities with our pumpkin – measure it a few different ways, estimate and count the seeds, etc.
Things to Know:
- Please check regularly and use the Things To Be Working On At Home link on the blog.
- Scholastic Book orders are due Wednesday, October 22nd. You may order by going online (https://clubs2.scholastic.com), directions have been given, or handing the order and check to me. Please consider ordering books from Scholastic. Not only are they cheap but all books bought earn the classrooms bonus points. With those points I am able to get resources and books for the classroom.
- Library books are due every Friday.
- There is no school on Monday, October 13th in observance of Columbus Day.
- Our field trip is Friday, October 31st. Please send back the permission slip and fee ASAP. Chaperones will be contacted shortly.
- I have a project up on a website called Donors Choose. Please consider looking at the website and donating any amount to help fund my project (http://www.donorschoose.org/project/help-us-soar-through-technology/1316674/?rf=page-siteshare-2014-09-project-teacher_2480453). I am asking for technology that will directly benefit all the students currently in Room 104 and in the future. Also encourage your family and friends to donate.
- Homework is to be done in pencil unless otherwise stated.
- I have been contacting people who said they would like to volunteer in the classroom. Please fill out the volunteer sheet sent home early last week if you would like to volunteer.
- We have started our ST Math program. You will hear students referring to it as JiJi (GG). It is a computer based math program based on logic and problem solving. We will be in the computer lab on Thursdays working on this. Students work at their own rate. Once students learn their passwords I will send home a paper letting you know how you can access this at home.
- Consider collecting Box Tops. They are on many of the everyday items that you buy. Turn them into me or by the security desk on the first floor. Each Box Top earns money for the school. http://www.boxtopsforeducation.info