Room 104 Families,
Sight Words: and, be
We will use and write them in sentences. We will also sing our sight word songs.
Previous Sight Words: I, am, like, we, see, the, can
Letter of the Week: Cc
Please have your child cut out images from the newspaper or magazines that
begin with our letter of the week so we can make a letter collage book. Students may
bring in the images any day throughout the week.
Previous Letters: Mm, Aa, Ff
- Greeting – Rhythm Greeting
- Activity – Fall Poem
- Sharing – Students will share what they would like to be when they grow up and why
- Please discuss this with your child and prepare them for what they will share
- We will be rotating between all our centers this week – read to self, read to someone, word work, writing, listening, computer, and teacher time
- Word Work – Rainbow Words, Read Around the Room, Letter Cc activity, Uppercase/lowercase matching
- Writing – Students will pick a topic card then write and draw
- Read to Self and Read to Someone – focus on identifying sight words
- Computer -Starfall, iPad games
- Listening- Students will listen to Skippyjon Jones Class Action
- Teacher Time – practice sight words and letters, alphabet bingo, uppercase/lowercase matching, beginning sounds
- Complete the predictable sentence, “I can be a ___________.” Each week with our predictable sentences we make a class book that stays in our Book Center. Students may put the books in their Read to Self bags to read and/or read them when doing Read to Someone.
- Letter Sort.
- Phonemic Awareness
- Our big book this week is Everybody Works. Each day we will do a different activity with it. Our comprehension skill this week is fiction/non fiction.
- Big Book Activities – Picture Walk/Predictions, Read, Identify the genre, Identify why it is that genre.
- List words that begin with the letter Cc.
- Sight Word Songs.
- Sing Who Let the Letters Out? There is a link to it on the Things to be Working on at Home page on the blog.
Theme (Science/Social Studies): Community Helpers
- We will focus on five community helpers – Police Officer, Teacher, Doctor, Firefighter, Farmer.
- Each day we will read a book about that community helper and complete an activity.
- Students will write/draw about the community helpers and what they would do if they had that job.
- Math Survey
- Math Journals
- ST Math
- Tricky Teens
- Listen and Do (10-19)
- Teen Partners
- Estimation Jar
- Number Stories: Stage 1
Things to Know:
- Please check regularly and use the Things To Be Working On At Home link on the blog.
- Scholastic Book orders are due Wednesday, October 22nd. You may order by going online (https://clubs2.scholastic.com), directions have been given, or handing the order and check to me. Please consider ordering books from Scholastic. Not only are they cheap but all books bought earn the classrooms bonus points. With those points I am able to get resources and books for the classroom.
- Library books are due every Friday.
- There is no school on Monday, October 13th in observance of Columbus Day.
- Our field trip is Friday, October 31st. Please send back the permission slip and fee ASAP.
- I have a project up on a website called Donors Choose. Please consider looking at the website and donating any amount to help fund my project (http://www.donorschoose.org/project/help-us-soar-through-technology/1316674/?rf=page-siteshare-2014-09-project-teacher_2480453). I am asking for technology that will directly benefit all the students currently in Room 104 and in the future. Also encourage your family and friends to donate.
- Homework is to be done in pencil unless otherwise stated.
- I have been contacting people who said they would like to volunteer in the classroom. Please fill out the volunteer sheet sent home early last week if you would like to volunteer.
- We will be starting our ST Math program this week. You will hear students referring to it as JiJi. It is a computer based math program based on logic and problem solving. We will be in the computer lab on Thursdays working on this. Students work at their own rate. Once students learn their passwords I will send home a paper letting you know how you can access this at home.
- Consider collecting Box Tops. They are on many of the everyday items that you buy. Turn them into me or by the security desk on the first floor. Each Box Top earns money for the school. http://www.boxtopsforeducation.info