Room 104 Families,
Sight Words: the, can
We will use and write them in sentences. We will also sing our sight word songs.
Previous Sight Words: I, am, like, we, see
Letter of the Week: Ff
Please have your child cut out images from the newspaper or magazines that begin with our letter of the week so we can make a letter collage book. Students may bring in the images any day throughout the week.
Previous Letters: Mm, Aa
- Greeting – Compliment Greeting
- Activity – Apple Poem
- Sharing – Students will share their favorite food and why
- Please discuss this with your child and prepare them for what they will share
- We will start to rotate between four of our centers this week – read to self, read to someone, word work, and writing
- Word Work – Rainbow Words, Read Around the Room, Letter Ff activity, Color by Sight Word
- Writing – Students will be introduced to writing center, there are many topic cards they can choose from to help them pick a topic
- Complete the predictable sentence, “The boy/girl can___________ (action word).” Each week with our predictable sentences we make a class book that stays in our Book Center. Students may put the books in their Read to Self bags to read and/or read them when doing Read to Someone.
- Letter Sort.
- We will begin our phonemic awareness lessons this week.
- Our big book this week is Please, Puppy, Please. Each day we will do a different activity with it. Our comprehension skill this week is main characters.
- Big Book Activities – Picture Walk/Predictions, Read, Identify the main character, Identify two characteristics for the main character.
- List words that begin with the letter Ff.
- Sing Who Let the Letters Out? There is a link to it on the Things to be Working on at Home page on the blog.
Theme (Science/Social Studies): Apples
- Apple Germ Experiment
- Apple Measuring
- Sight Word Apple Tree
- 10 Apples Up On Top
- Students will continue to independent journal this week. Students are encouraged to draw very detailed pictures and the students who can write words will be encouraged to do so.
- This week we will continue to focus on writing sentences using our sight words.
- Math Survey
- Math Journals
- Roll and Color
- Which Way Do I Go? (Directional Words)
- Spin a Number Game
- Counting Games
- Matching Coin Game
- Number Board
- Math Centers
Things to Know:
- Please check regularly and use the Things To Be Working On At Home link on the blog.
- Scholastic Book Orders have been placed and should be arriving shortly. The next order is due Wednesday, October 22. The papers will be sent home sometime this week. You may order by going online (https://clubs2.scholastic.com), directions have been given, or handing the order and check to me. Please consider ordering books from Scholastic. Not only are they cheap but all books bought earn the classrooms bonus points. With those points I am able to get resources and books for the classroom.
- Library books are due every Friday.
- Let me know if you would like to go paperless with the newsletter.
- I have a project up on a website called Donors Choose. Please consider looking at the website and donating any amount to help fund my project (http://www.donorschoose.org/project/help-us-soar-through-technology/1316674/?rf=page-siteshare-2014-09-project-teacher_2480453). I am asking for technology that will directly benefit all the students currently in Room 104 and in the future. Also encourage your family and friends to donate.
- If you have not yet sent an apple to school, please do so at the beginning of this week.
- Consider collecting Box Tops. They are on many of the everyday items that you buy. Turn them into me or by the security desk on the first floor. Each Box Top earns money for the school. http://www.boxtopsforeducation.info