Welcome to Kindergarten!
It was wonderful seeing so many Room 104 families today. I am now even more excited to start the school year. Below I will answer some questions that came up today. If I missed any please email me at email@example.com. I am sure I will think of more things before Monday so I will just post them here. Please subscribe to the blog by clicking the follow button below and entering your email address. Once done you will get an email every time I post to the blog.
- School starts promptly at 8:45 a.m. All students coming in after 8:45 will be marked tardy. They will need to go to the main office and obtain a tardy slip.
- Drop off (8:45 a.m.) and dismissal (3:45 p.m.) will be on the north playground. There will be a spot labeled 104.
- While we only have PE once a week we do go outside two times a day for recess. Tied shoes are preferred to be worn daily.
- Accidents happen – please consider sending your child with a extra pair of clothes. The student may keep them in their backpack or their locker in our classroom.
- Going paperless – I post a weekly newsletter to the blog and will send a paper copy home for the first few months. If you would like to go paperless with the weekly newsletter, please email me.
- Breakfast will be served in the cafeteria from 8:20 a.m. – 8:40 a.m. Students eating breakfast should enter through the doors on Kimbark closer to 57th. Students will then go to the north playground to line up for the school day. It is very important that students get a healthy and filling breakfast daily at home or at school.
- Lunch – The price of lunch is $2.45 daily for families who pay full price and 40 cents daily for reduced. Milk is 35 cents daily. Soon you will get a paper to fill out and turn in which will determine if you pay full price, reduced, or are free. I ask that when sending money for lunch it is in an envelope or bag with the students name and the amount of money inside. Change should be given by the following day if you do not have the exact amount. Some families decide to pay for the whole week at once ($12.25) or just a few days. A lunch calendar can be found on either the Ray or CPS websites. If a student usually brings a lunch from home but forgets they will be given lunch on an IOU. Just send in the money as soon as possible.
- We will be doing monthly birthday celebrations this year. They will usually be held the last Friday of the month. Letters will come home about that the month of your child’s birthday. Individual birthdays will be acknowledged with a sticker, pencil, and song but the big celebration will be at the end of the month. This year we are asking for only the small two bite cupcakes, healthy snacks, and/or donations to the classroom of pencils, erasers, books, etc.
- Volunteers – We love and appreciate having volunteers in Room 104. The best times are during our Literacy Block (until 10:35 a.m. daily) and math (1:45 p.m. – 2:45 p.m.). However, we need to get the routines and rules down first. I will not be asking for volunteers until around October at the earliest. When we are ready I will send home letters asking for volunteers.
Please feel free to email with any questions and I look forward to seeing everyone again on Monday!