Room 104 Families,
Sight Words: they, up, of
Previous Sight Words: I, like, see, the, is, little, big, a, to, we, can, be, and, look, at, my, you, are, for, am, in, on, no, it, this, said, run, do, want, play, yes, was, if, would, come, have, me, went, with, help, he, she, go
We are going to use and write these words in sentences.
We have been learning songs for all our sight words, ask your student to share the songs with you!
Letter of the Week: Bb
Previous Letters: Kk, Pp, Jj, Hh, Ff, Tt, Ii, Gg, Mm, Cc, Ww, Aa, Ss
Theme: Our theme this week is bears – we will focus on polar bears, grizzly bears, and panda bears
- We will read books about polar bears, then label a big picture and write facts on the page. The students will then write about where the polar bear lives, the name of the babies, and what they eat.
- We will read books about grizzly bears, then label a big picture and write facts on the page. The students will then write about where the grizzly bear lives, the name of the babies, and what they eat.
- We will read books about panda bears, then label a big picture and write facts on the page. The students will then write about where the panda bear lives, the name of the babies, and what they eat.
- Students will work in pairs to complete a Venn Diagram of polar bears and panda bears.
- After coloring in a picture of the world, the students will cut out pictures of each bear and paste them where they live.
- Student will start work in their February Journals.
- I will encourage using our sight words and students writing one or two sentences to describe their picture. We are also now labeling all parts of our pictures.
- Students are now encouraged to independently chop out and write the words. We do phonemic awareness mini lessons everyday before journaling to help and inspire the students to chop out words on their own. This week our phonics lessons will focus on /b/ and /g/ blends, for example words that start with /br/, /bl/, /gr/, and /gl/. We will also make a list of the words we know that start with /b/.
- Interrupted Counts – One student will start counting, when told to stop another student has to count from where was left off
- Meet the Calculator
- Teen Frame Game and Number line Mathematics
- Roll and Record with Two Dice
- Writing Center: Rainbow write the sight words and write about hibernating bears.
- Art Center: Students will create their own grizzly bear by tearing paper.
- Math Center: Gummy Bear Graphing.
- Read Around the Room: Find words beginning with /b/.
- Listening Center: Students will listen to Slippyjon Jones Class Action.
- ABC Center: Students will match words to pictures.
- For our Journeys curriculum we will read a story called Turtle Splash!. Our goals this week are Cause/Effect and Predict/Infer.
- Character Education – We Feel Feelings in Our Bodies
- Students will learn about community workers.
- Ruby Bridges.
- Remember to keep checking the Things To Be Working On At Home page to the right.
- Report Cards will be sent home Wednesday, February 6th.
- There is no school on Tuesday, February 12th for Lincoln’s Birthday
- Valentine’s Day is on Thursday, February 14th – more information to come.
- The 100th Day of School is on Wednesday, February 20th – more information to come.