Room 104 Families,
Sight Words: how, here, one
Previous Sight Words: I, like, see, the, is, little, big, a, to, we, can, be, and, look, at, my, you, are, for, am, in, on, no, it, this, said, run, do, want, play, yes, was, if, would, come, have, me, went, with, help, he, she, go, they, up, of, what, now, love
We are going to use and write these words in sentences.
We have been learning songs for all our sight words, ask your student to share the songs with you!
Letter of the Week: Oo – we will learn about the long and short sound
Previous Letters: Kk, Pp, Jj, Hh, Ff, Tt, Ii, Gg, Mm, Cc, Ww, Aa, Ss, Bb, Vv
Theme: Our theme this week is Presidents with a focus on Washington and Lincoln
- Read the legend of the Cherry Tree, then make our own honesty tree. Students will write about a time they had to be honest.
- Read a book about George Washington and then do a Beginning, Middle, End.
- Read Abe Lincoln’s Hat, then the students will write about something they would like to keep in their hat.
- Make a log cabin just like Abraham Lincoln lived in.
- Compare and Contrast Washington and Lincoln
- Make a book about what you need to be president.
- In America We Are Free To…
- Centers: Bubblegum machine with 100 circles, 100 dots, what can I do in 100 seconds, making a hat.
- Other activities: use the numbers 1, 0, and 0 to make something, 100 day glasses, name pattern
- Draw what you are going to look like at 100 years old and write about what you will be like and what you will be doing.
- Student will continue work in their February Journals.
- We will write facts about George Washington.
- We will write facts about Abraham Lincoln on a hat.
- This week our phonics lessons will focus on the long /o/ sound, the short /o/ sound, and the /og/, /op/, /ot/, and /on/ word families.
- The subtraction symbol.
- Penny and quarter rubbings.
- Presidential Piggy Bank – sort the coins by the president.
- Work on tally marks.
- Writing Center: Rainbow write the sight words and If I were President.
- Art Center: Students will complete a “I am 100 Days Smarter banner.”
- Math Center: Penny heads or tails graphing.
- Read Around the Room: Find and write words beginning with /o/ and/or have /o/ in the middle.
- Listening Center: Students will listen to Pete the Cat Rocking Out in my School Shoes then write about something from the story and draw a picture.
- ABC Center: Pop for phonics – a word family game we played at Teacher Time on Friday.
- For our Journeys curriculum we will read a story called What is Science?. Our goals this week are details and summarizing. Our science lessons for the week will focus around this book.
- Washington and Lincoln activities.
- Remember to keep checking the Things To Be Working On At Home page to the right.
- The 100th Day of School is on Wednesday, February 20th! If you would like to volunteer for our centers from 9:30 to 11:15 am please email me. Remember to have the students wear their 100th Day shirts and bring in 100 items of food for our snack that day.
- Wednesday, February 27th is a half-day of school, students will be dismissed at 12:15 on the south playground having both breakfast and lunch at school.
- Scholastic Book Orders are due on Wednesday, February 27th.
- Wishlist – Plastic easter eggs.