Room 104 Families,
Sight Words: went, with, help
Previous Sight Words: I, like, see, the, is, little, big, a, to, we, can, be, and, look, at, my, you, are, for, am, in, on, no, it, this, said, run, do, want, play, yes, was, if, would, come, have, me
We are going to use and write these words in sentences.
We have been learning songs for all our sight words, ask your student to share the songs with you!
Letter of the Week: Aa – we will discuss the long and short sounds
Previous Letters: Kk, Pp, Jj, Hh, Ff, Tt, Ii, Gg, Mm, Cc, Ww
Theme: Our theme this week is animals in winter
- The students will listen to The Hat by Jan Brett and sequence the events.
- The students will listen to The Mitten by Jan Brett and sequence the events.
- The students will compare and contrast The Hat and The Mitten making the own venn diagrams using pictures and words.
- The students will listen to Annie and the Wild Animals by Jan Brett and make a prediction on where they think the animal is hiding before we finish reading the book.
- Student will continue work in their January Journals.
- I will encourage using our sight words and students writing one or two sentences to describe their picture. We are also now labeling all parts of our pictures.
- Students are now encouraged to independently chop out and write the words. We do phonemic awareness mini lessons everyday before journaling to help and inspire the students to chop out words on their own. This week our phonics lessons will focus on the letter /a/ and how it makes a long and short sound. When the sound is short and when it is long.
- Teen Frame Game.
- Number Line Mathematics.
- Top-It Card Game.
- The Pattern-Block Templates.
- Writing Center: Rainbow write the sight words and write about their favorite winter time activities.
- Art Center: Students will color and create their own hat like the one in The Hat by Jan Brett.
- Math Center: The train game.
- Read Around the Room: Find words beginning with /a/ or have the short sound /a/ in the middle.
- Listening Center: Students will listen to The Mitten and draw a picture from the middle of the book.
- ABC Center: Students will sequence cards into Beginning, Middle, and End then draw pictures for each and sentences.
- For our Journeys curriculum we will read a story called Snow. Our goals this week are monitor/clarify and conclusions.
- Character Education – Empathy and Feelings
- Students will learn about community stores and helpers.
- Remember to keep checking the Things To Be Working On At Home page to the right.
- Scholastic Book Order are due online or to me by Jan. 28th. Any books ordered will be here in early February. Remember, this is a great way to get great and inexpensive books!
- Second Quarter ends on Thursday, January 31st.
- There is no school on Friday, February 1st for a teacher professional development day.