Room 104 Families,
Sight Words: was, if, would
Previous Sight Words: I, like, see, the, is, little, big, a, to, we, can, be, and, look, at, my, you, are, for, am, in, on, no, it, this, said, run, do, want, play, yes
We are going to use and write these words in sentences.
We have been learning songs for all our sight words, ask your student to share the songs with you!
Letter of the Week: Cc – It makes two sounds and we will practice both
Previous Letters: Kk, Pp, Jj, Hh, Ff, Tt, Ii, Gg, Mm
Theme: Our theme this week is Christmas Symbols.
- Make a gingerbread house out of paper then describe it in writing
- Make trees out of paper and decorate the scene with watercolors
- Have an end of 2012 celebration! Students will make popsicle stick picture frames, decorative food snacks, and many more.
- Just like last week, please let me know if you would not like you child to participate in our study of holiday symbols. Other arrangements can be made.
- Student will finish work in their December Journals. We will be sharing our journals with Pre-K. We will read to them and they will read their journals to us.
- More writing lines have been added for December as well as a place for students to practice writing the date. We are also doing more book responses.
- Students will practice writing the letter /c/.
- I will encourage using our sight words and students writing one or two sentences to describe their picture. We are also now labeling all parts of our pictures.
- Students are now encouraged to independently chop out and write the words. We do phonemic awareness mini lessons everyday before journaling to help and inspire the students to chop out words on their own.
- Math Centers this week will be: Glueing marshmallows on a ten frame which is on a picture of a hot chocolate mug, find different ways to make 10, make light patterns, pull a number and put that many counters on a Christmas tree – just like ornaments.
- Play a domino concentration game.
- Guess the number.
- Measure objects with unifix cubes.
- Use a picture of a hot chocolate mug and marshmallows to make addition number stories.
- Writing Center: Rainbow write the sight words and letter /c/ phonics activities.
- Art Center: Find our sight words in a magazine, then paste and write them on paper.
- Math Center: Geoboards and tangram pictures.
- Read Around the Room: Find words beginning with /c/.
- Listening Center: Students will listen to The Gingerbread Pirates then draw a picture from the end of the story.
- ABC Center: Sequence three events, draw them, then write a word to describe each.
- The students will create a class book completing the following sentence: If Santa was stuck in my chimney I would ______________________.
- For our Journeys curriculum we will read a story called Mouse Shapes. Our goals this week are story structure and summarizing.
- We will continue our study of the United States and learn about voting.
- We will be going to the computer lab on Tuesday to do activities with holiday symbols.
- Remember to keep checking the Things To Be Working On At Home page to the right.
- Our Holiday and End of 2012 Celebration is on Friday, December 21st from 12:45-1:30. Thanks to all the families donating their time and supplies to our celebration, please have your child bring the supplies on the 21st.
- As the weather turns colder, please make sure that your child is mostly independent in putting on all their outside gear; zipping included. It takes away both instruction and outside play time when myself and the “helper students” each have to get numerous students dressed.
- Winter Break starts on Monday, December 24th and school will resume on Thursday, January 3rd.