Room 104 Families,
Sight Words: is, big, little
Previous Sight Words: I, like, see, the
*We are going to use and write these words in sentences.
We have been learning songs for all our sight words, ask your student to share the
songs with you!
Letter of the Week: Pp
Previous Letters: Kk
Theme: Our theme of the week is pumpkins
- The students will explore the outside of a pumpkin and come up with words to describe the outside.
- We will cut open a pumpkin and explore the inside, then the students will come up with words to describe the inside.
- Students will make their own pumpkin out of paper then measure how long it is with unifix cubes. Students will then place their pumpkin on a graph as we compare the sizes.
- Students will make their own Jack-o-Lanterns out of paper. They will be able to get very creative using all the different shapes we have learned!
- We are going to make pumpkin vine decorations for Room 104. Students will use their fingers to make the pumpkins then add in the vines with green paint and brushes. They will all get connected and placed around the room. A wonderful way to decorate Room 104 for Fall!
- Student will continue in their October Journals.
- I will encourage using our sight words and students writing one word to describe their picture.
- It is very important that students spell words how they hear the sounds. Encourage your child to stretch out the word and write down the sounds they hear. Students often spell home as HOM, because those are the sounds you hear. This is developmental and what we are looking for.
- Students will practice writing the letter /p/.
- Our Wednesday math centers will revolve around patterns. Students will sort fruit loops/apple jacks, they will correspond the amount of candy corn to the number, sort cards into larger and smaller, and explore the remaining regular math centers.
- We have been doing and will continue a daily math survey. At the beginning of math each day I ask a question and we tally the responses. Then we count (by 5’s) and talk about biggest, smallest, etc.
- Discover patterns through sounds and motion.
- Work on more advanced patterns with colors; for example yellow, yellow, blue, yellow, yellow, blue; white, orange, orange, white, orange, orange. Students will use colored square tiles.
- Coin comparisons.
- Practice counting up.
- Our centers are in full swing. Last week we were able to do them all including teacher time/guided reading.
- At the Writing Center, students will be be doing /p/ phonics practice.
- At the Art Center, students will tear orange and black paper and glue them inside the outline of a pumpkin.
- At the Math Center, students will make a pattern template creature.
- For Read Around the Room, students will find words in our classroom and in books that start with the letter /p/ and write them down.
- For Listening Center, students will listen to a story and draw a picture about it.
- For reference, our literacy centers consist of art center, writing center, listening center, computer center, math center, read around the room, games, ABC center (phonics games), books center, blocks, and teacher time. Most centers change their content weekly and deal with our theme, sight words, and/or letter of the week.
- The students will create a class book completing the following sentence: The pumpkin is ___________________ (to be filled in with big or little, students will also draw either a big or little pumpkin).
- For our Journeys curriculum we will read a story called How do Dinosaurs go to School? Our goal this week is understanding characters.
- We will formally begin our social studies curriculum this week. Students will be learning all about the safety signs we see outside.
- Our pumpkin farm field trip is on Monday, October 22nd. Pack a completely disposable lunch for your student to eat at the farm. They will be coming home with a pumpkin! Also, thanks to our chaperones.
- The Ray School Class Fee is $85. Please turn in as soon as possible.
- This will be my last paper newsletter. Please subscribe to my blog or check it regularly.
- We will have P.E. class on Monday the 15th. Make sure your student is in appropriate gym shoes.
- Please consider donating used egg cartons to the classroom for our math center.