I really enjoyed meeting so many of the Room 104 families on Friday for our Meet Greet and Find Your Seat. I can tell that we are going to have a great year in Kindergarten and that the students seem ready to get going.
A few things to keep in mind:
– School starts at 8:45 and ends at 3:45. I will pick up the class every morning on the South Playground at 8:45 and drop them off at the same place at 3:45. I will wait outside for 5-10 minutes then will be bringing any children not picked up to the office. If you are in need of after school care, stop by the office and talk with them to sign up. After School goes everyday from 3:45 to 6:00, and students need to be registered in advance.
– Ray School will be holding Curriculum Night on Thursday, September 6th from 6:00-7:30. At that time you will all receive a packet with more information about kindergarten and what your children will be studying this year. It will also go into detail about birthday celebrations, volunteering in the classroom, snack, and field trips.
– A Kindergarten Questionnaire will be going home on Tuesday that will help me get to know your child better through your eyes. In there I am going to ask about any dietary restrictions or allergies your child may have. That will help us all when it comes to snack. I would like to thank the volunteers who will graciously be donating snack to the students this week. Please remember to make it something simple that the children will be able to eat while out at Brain Boost (recess). I do have a mini refrigerator in the room in case any of the snacks require refrigeration. At the beginning of each week I will be sending home a note to a few families asking them to donate snack for the next week.
– Please remember to dress your child for the weather. While we are among the lucky ones to have air conditioning in the classroom, the students do go outside twice a day for Brain Boost.
– Full cost of lunch is $2.35/day this year, with the reduced cost is staying at $0.40. Please send money with your child in a clearly marked envelope everyday they are buying, or if you know you are buying for the whole week you can send that all on Mondays. I find the easiest way to send lunch money with your child is to put the money in a little bag or envelope then place it in their home folder (the red folder that will be traveling back and forth with your child everyday). Children may also bring a lunch from home.
– The best way to contact me is to email me at email@example.com or send a note in your child’s home folder.
– Before every week starts I will post the weekly newsletter to this site. The newsletter will let you know what Room 104 will be studying during the upcoming week. During the beginning of the year I will also send home a paper copy of the newsletter. My hope is that eventually I will be sending less paper copies home and that families will be checking the site on a regular basis. If you know now that you will be checking the site every week and will not need a paper copy of the newsletter, please email me.
– We will be practicing routines and procedures this week.
– Your child will listen to stories like Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten and The Kissing Hand and will be doing follow up activities.
– We will be figuring out how many letters are in our names and graphing that, graphing eye color, and the amount of boys and girls in the class.
– I will lead calendar this week and teach the students so that a different student could lead calendar each week.
– The students will be learning a song called I Am Special.
– Students will be writing about and drawing things they can do that begin with the first letter of their names.
– Students will get to write about and draw things they like to do.
We are going to have a very exciting first week, but realize that it will be an adjustment. Feel free to email me with any comments, concerns, or questions.
Have a great Labor Day!